chl training class

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
sensei
Posts in topic: 1

chl training class

Post by sensei »

I have a good friend living in the Humble area.

He is seeking to take the CHL class to get his license.

He is 62 yrs. old and very laid back.

Said he went to the place on 1960 bypass (Sportman's, I think) in Humble and was very uncomfortable with the way he was treated and wanted alternative places to take the class.

He is calling Carter's Country today.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

sensei

gigag04
Posts in topic: 2

Post by gigag04 »

pruetts seems to have a good sense of humor.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

dws1117
Posts in topic: 3

Post by dws1117 »

Pruett's is where took mine. It was a little more expensive since they provide breakfast and lunch. I was satisfied with the experience.

That said, Pruett's may be a bit far to dive if he is in Humble. The few that I've known that went to Carter's were satisfied. I am not a big fan of Carter's Country personally. The attitude there is one of "if it ain't a blot action huntin rifle or shotgun for duck huntin, it is useless" To be fair they have started stocking some EBRs and more variety of handguns. I am sure this wa an economic decision though. Thier prices are fair and the range is OK.

Personally I would make ther drive to Pruett's or Shooter's Station in conroe.

I believe they sponser a class at Thunder Range on 1314, which might not be too bad of a drive. SRVA may be able to offer more info on the Thunder class.

ghentry
Posts in topic: 4

Post by ghentry »

Another vote for Pruett's.

therooster

Post by therooster »

i do not like puritt, nor his trainer, nor his store... he is a walking talking advertisement that contributes nothing to the local/national shooting clubs/sports.

if you want a guy that is a true warrior with a ture warrior mindset and that actually knows his stuff. take the class from David Burton, he is one of the best CHL instructors in the houston area. David is a 3rd generation Cooper student mixed a little with Special Forces experiences in africa.

American Shooting Center
David Burton
"live with honor, and let not your death be born by the pallbearers of disgrace, cruelty, weekness, and fear." - Justin Smith in a letter to Lt. Col. Dave Grossman

TXDPSA

ghentry

Post by ghentry »

rooster...

Have you attended a CHL class at Pruett's? If not, I'm not sure why you would bad mouth them? Keep in mind, this a CHL class, not a "Warrior Ultra Tactical Special Ops Commando" class. :roll:

In the class I took, Pruett's son gave accurate information, made sure we knew what we needed to know to ace the test, provided a police officer to print us and made sure that we walked out the door with everything we needed. We also were able to do a Q&A with the veteran officer who also trains cadets at the academy. He also showed concern about not being able to get enough women to get their CHL's. As a bonus, they made me a deal on my first concealed handgun that I haven't been able to duplicate anywhere.

Is "adding to the shooting sports" a requirement for a good CHL class?

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Pruett has donated generously to the 2004 and 2005 Texas State IDPA Championship.

Regards,
Chas.

ghentry

Post by ghentry »

you live in Katy Huh? you ever want to have lunch some time?
Jason, is that a threat?

If that's the case, I'll be forced to use some of my de-escalation techniques I learned at Pruett's CHL class:

Both hands in front of me, palms toward you.
"Hey man, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to upset you"
"I shouldn't have said that"
"I don't want any trouble"
"I'm going to just leave"

I slowly back away from the keyboard and turn off my monitor.

90north

Post by 90north »

Where is Pruetts? I live in Kerrville and need to take a CHL class, any suggestions?

therooster

Post by therooster »

ghentry wrote:
you live in Katy Huh? you ever want to have lunch some time?
Jason, is that a threat?

If that's the case, I'll be forced to use some of my de-escalation techniques I learned at Pruett's CHL class:

Both hands in front of me, palms toward you.
"Hey man, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to upset you"
"I shouldn't have said that"
"I don't want any trouble"
"I'm going to just leave"

I slowly back away from the keyboard and turn off my monitor.

a threat? :roll:

your a real winner. i still want to know what it is that you were born with that makes you so much better than me. why wont you answer the question?

why did my post get deleted? i'm the one that got attacked by the a**hole for having an oppinion. yet his post doesnt get deleted? and he replies again with another smartass post that contributes nothing to the thread and that one doesnt get deleted? is this how all of your new guests are treated?
"live with honor, and let not your death be born by the pallbearers of disgrace, cruelty, weekness, and fear." - Justin Smith in a letter to Lt. Col. Dave Grossman

TXDPSA

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

back on topic! :)
90north wrote:Where is Pruetts? I live in Kerrville and need to take a CHL class, any suggestions?
Pruetts Guns & Ammo
11101 Huffmeister Rd.
Houston, TX 77065

I'm not sure where kerrville is. If you are closer to college station than houston you may want to come to a class at Champion Firearms. Their classes are top notch, very professional, very informative and helpful.

They provide a rental (including 3" 4" and 5" kimbers) to qual with if you need one. Mike, owner, is very interesting and shares real-life applications of the statutes.

BUT...if you are closer to houston, then as I've said, Pruett's may be a good place. I've never taken a class myself, but my uncle and I went by a few weeks ago and he randomly bought an AK and I had a good time talking to the staff there. They seem to have a good sense of humor and a fun atmosphere, and the "anti-terrorist headquarters" is just a novel concept in and of itself.

There are other fine places in Houston I'm sure, but these are the ones I'm familiar with.

-nick

FYI:
http://www.jimpruett.net/

http://www.championfirearms.com/
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

anygunanywhere

Kerrville

Post by anygunanywhere »

90north wrote:Where is Pruetts? I live in Kerrville and need to take a CHL class, any suggestions?
90north,

I know where Kerrville is. My retirement property is in Saddlewood. My lovely wife and I will be living there one day. The marvelous Texas Hill Country.

Might I suggest trying several of your local gun stores. I know where two are, although I can non give you the addresses. They will more than likely be able to direct you to a CHL instructor.

Keep us posted on what you do. This site is the perfect forum to spread the word.

Anygun
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

noobshooter

Post by noobshooter »

I thought Jim Pruetts class was held at Hot Wells Range? Is this true? I've been to Hot Wells dozens of times, where is the classroom held? I just got my packet from DPS and am looking for a class near me, and Pruetts is the closest.

On a side note, I know therooster personally. Therooster is a good guy who has always contributed to our XD owners shooting club in a positive way. He is very enthusiastic about the shooting sports and very passionate in his beliefs.

ghentry

Post by ghentry »

When I took my class a few years ago, the shooting portion was taken first at Hot Wells, and then we went to the classroom which was in a space in the same strip center as Pruett's gun shop.

Regarding "therooster", I wish things had not gone as far as they did. I really wasn't trying to talk down to him or make him angry. I thought humor might diffuse the situation, but obviously it didn't.

Doorman

Post by Doorman »

It's funny how people think they can make typed words have feeling.
Iquote] " I thought humor might diffuse the situation", but obviously it didn't. :shock:
Mr. Cotton you seemed to have over reacted in this case, I think a simple PM to a aggressive member would have been the professional route to go, "just my opinion" ghentry could have, and was holding her or his own.
"Just my opinion"

Back on topic:
Hotwells has a great CHL class. http://www.cdshoot.com

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”