What's the recommended barrel length on AR for hunting?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
x007x
Posts in topic: 5

What's the recommended barrel length on AR for hunting?

Post by x007x »

Hello, my brother is having me build his AR since I built my own, but I am not sure what length barrel length to get for hunting. Since he will be using it a lot for hunting.
-CHL-
-NRA-

Ericstac
Posts in topic: 2

Re: What's the recommended barrel length on AR for hunting?

Post by Ericstac »

Hunting what?

There is a big difference between hunting hogs in brush at a max of 50 yards or ram on a hillside 800yrds away.

tboesche
Posts in topic: 1

Post by tboesche »

I have taken hogs with both a 16" at 200 yards and a 24" at 100". It all depends. What are you hunting? What weight bullet are you shooting?
"Water's, wet, The sky is blue. And old Satan Claws, He's out there, and he's just getting stronger." Joe Halenbeck
"So what do we do about it?" Jimmie Dix
"Be prepared, Junior, That's my motto, Be Prepared". Joe Halenbeck

jason237m

Post by jason237m »

Anything 20" and up is going to be pretty good with practice. In 3 gun I shoot steel plates at 475 using an 20" barrel without much trouble.

Topic author
x007x

Post by x007x »

He told me he will be hunting hogs majority of the time. At the end of this month he is going hunting hogs out of a helicopter. Sounds fun to me.
-CHL-
-NRA-

jmra

Post by jmra »

x007x wrote:He told me he will be hunting hogs majority of the time. At the end of this month he is going hunting hogs out of a helicopter. Sounds fun to me.
In tight quarters I would not want anything longer than 16".
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

RECIT

Post by RECIT »

jmra wrote:
x007x wrote:He told me he will be hunting hogs majority of the time. At the end of this month he is going hunting hogs out of a helicopter. Sounds fun to me.
I think trying to kill anything with 5.56/.223 you need as much velocity and the best bullet you can buy/find. Shorter than 20" barrel and I think you lose too much velocity. Especially if you are relying on 55gr FMJ to do the deed. I would say get a 20" barrel and some good heavy Barnes/Hornaday bullets and you should be good to go with aimed shots.

Example of hog hunting with 55gr FMJ, my Dad shot a 150-160lb hog at 150ft in the head and it did not go down quickly. He had to follow it up with a 20ft away shoulder shot and it still flopped around for a while. Point of the story is get some good quality ammo designed for hunting.
"I am a Free Man, regardless of what set of 'rules' surround me. When I find them tolerable, I tolerate them. When I find them obnoxious, I ignore them. I remain free, because I know and understand that I alone bear full responsibility for everything I do, or chose not to do."

Topic author
x007x

Post by x007x »

My brother is not an amateur hunter, so he knows what he needs for amo wise. Thank you everyone.. It's seems hard to find a 20" barrel. Does anyone have a good recommendation?
-CHL-
-NRA-

Ericstac

Post by Ericstac »

Don't quote me on this but I think the helicopter hunts you have to have a left handed AR so the empty rounds are not hitting the pilot.. But i have seen some that provide the weapon for you if you don't have it..

I could be wrong though

DocV

Post by DocV »

x007x wrote:My brother is not an amateur hunter, so he knows what he needs for amo wise. Thank you everyone.. It's seems hard to find a 20" barrel. Does anyone have a good recommendation?
Bravo Company has a 20" in stock.
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-20-R ... finder.com

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

RECIT wrote:
jmra wrote:
I think trying to kill anything with 5.56/.223 you need as much velocity and the best bullet you can buy/find. Shorter than 20" barrel and I think you lose too much velocity. Especially if you are relying on 55gr FMJ to do the deed. I would say get a 20" barrel and some good heavy Barnes/Hornaday bullets and you should be good to go with aimed shots.

Example of hog hunting with 55gr FMJ, my Dad shot a 150-160lb hog at 150ft in the head and it did not go down quickly. He had to follow it up with a 20ft away shoulder shot and it still flopped around for a while. Point of the story is get some good quality ammo designed for hunting.
You should never shoot a hog in the head unless the shot is point blank or you're a good enough shot to put it through the ear hole. Hogs skulls are slanted in such a way that most bullets will not penetrate but give them a good concussion.

Shoulder shots are much preferred. That's where the hog's vital organs are, and a shot there will result in death.

WARNING: Graphic
http://www.texasboars.com/anatomy.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.texasboars.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=136878" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.texasboars.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17772" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Topic author
x007x

Post by x007x »

I came across this barrel too.
http://www.fulton-armory.com/barrelkrie ... ded-1.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-CHL-
-NRA-

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

18" SPR build.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

CC Italian

Post by CC Italian »

I have seen them drop with 1 round from a 10/22 and then take 4 rounds from a 223. I am positive with a proper bullet and shot placement they are done. Don't own an ar. Smallest caliber rifle round a have personally shot a hog with is 243 and it worked well.
On a side note I know someone who went to the 7.62x39 for hogs on his land. He said he Didn't want to use premium ammo in the 223 after several times hogs didn't drop and ran off. 7.62x 39 cheap bear or wolf ammo drops them or they don't get far and collapse According to him every time.

Hamourkiller

Post by Hamourkiller »

Here is my take on hogs and deer with the 223, AR-15 or bolt platform.

Keep velocity around 2700 to 2800 FPS

Use a 60 gr or greater bullet (Hint Nosler 64 gr bonded bullet)

Keep range less than 200 yds

16" BBL will easily achieve this

Aim straight and have some fun!

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”